Old 31-07-2014, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Cuttings vases

mkr5000 said:
I want to make something to mount in a south facing window to root
cuttings (coleus, ivy etc).

I want to use some small bottles and was wondering if a colored bottle
(amber etc) would be better
than clear? Perhaps less light would be better for roots?

I doubt it makes much difference, so go with what is attractive and
convenient for you. You could even make an experiment of it by
comparing your success rate with clear vs. colored bottles.

Some pointers:
- keep the water clean

- some plants will do better if allowed to 'callous' a bit before putting
them in water (put them in an inflated plastic bag overnight), others need
to be plunged immediately.

- when transitioning the cuttings to pots you might want to put them
(temporarily) in a shadier spot, and it is recommended you transition to
a pot at least temporarily before setting water-rooted cuttings into the
ground.

Most of the rooting I've done recently was with cutting set into sterile
potting media directly. These are bagged in clear plastic and set in an area
out of direct sunlight until the cuttings start to grow.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored