Old 31-07-2014, 04:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cuttings vases

On 7/31/2014 7:16 AM, mkr5000 wrote:
I want to make something to mount in a south facing window to root
cuttings (coleus, ivy etc).

I want to use some small bottles and was wondering if a colored
bottle (amber etc) would be better than clear? Perhaps less light
would be better for roots?

Thanks.

Plants rooted in water often fail to do well when moved to pots. The
root hairs are severely damaged when suddenly packed into soil. Certain
plants will survive and even thrive if left growing in water;
philodendron is an example. Those that should be in soil or potting mix
should be rooted in a nutrient-free mix; I use a home-made mix of half
coarse sand and half peat moss.

Even plants that prefer direct sunlight should not be placed indoors in
a window where sunshine will fall on them. There is insufficient air
circulation to dissipate the heat. I have a greenhouse window in my
breakfast room; the window faces north. Some of my plants in the window
would do quite well outdoors (except in the winter) in full sun. Since
my house is not square on the compass, the greenhouse window gets about
3 hours of morning sun in the summer. I hang shade cloth over it from
late April until the beginning of October.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see