Old 01-08-2014, 09:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cuttings vases

On 31/07/2014 16:00, David E. Ross wrote:

Plants rooted in water often fail to do well when moved to pots. The
root hairs are severely damaged when suddenly packed into soil. Certain
plants will survive and even thrive if left growing in water;

Your reply make me think about this. You are quite right about failure
to move from a liquid to a solid growth medium. I wondered if it was
possible to have the best of both worlds - effectively root the plant in
waterlogged compost, and once rooted, allow the water to drain away.
Little if any root disturbance takes place, and the gentle transition
from wet to normal compost might allow the plant to adapt. Have you ever
tried anything like this?

--

Jeff