Old 01-08-2014, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Birds & Tomatoes

songbird said:
George Shirley wrote:
Davej wrote:
I put a bowl of water out there in the garden. Will that help?

Probably not, have had that problem before and Cardinals were after the
seeds. Had a bird bath back then and kept it full.

interesting, we've had many cardinals here over
the years and i've never noticed them paying any
attention at all to the tomatoes.

Sometimes a bird or animal will accidentally discover something
to its advantage but not to yours. For instance, the rabbit that
somehow figured out how to topple my lilies to get to the tender
buds up top. Or the cardinal that figured out how to pull the
corn sprouts to get to the kernel. (I watched it happen.) I netted
all my corn plantings for several years after that, and finally skipped
it again last spring with no losses.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."