Old 03-08-2014, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Ping Sacha - Erythrina crista-galli

On 2014-08-03 20:56:01 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

I see you offer this. Does it flower for you? I grew one in a pot for
years, and it never flowered. Last year I bought one at Pan-Global, and
put it outside in a south-facing warm, sunny spot. It has more than
doubled in diameter (it's now around 6 cm), and has put out at least a
dozen stems around 150 cm long, but no sign of flower buds.

Ray put one outside last autumn and it's about 6' tall and as you
describe, has put on a lot of new growth. He'll check it tomorrow to
see if it has any buds. The mature one we have indoors has buds and
flowers regularly and generously. One of its 'babies' flowered earlier
this year at a height of 3', under glass. Roy Lancaster told us he'd
had one flowering outside in his Hampshire garden then lost it to hard
frosts. Ray thinks that Pan-Global is now selling only seed of this
because of the expense of keeping it in flowering/cuttings mode under
glass. I'll let you know what we find on our outdoor one tomorrow, if
anything.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com