Old 03-08-2014, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Sacha - Erythrina crista-galli

I see you offer this. Does it flower for you? I grew one in a pot for
years, and it never flowered. Last year I bought one at Pan-Global, and
put it outside in a south-facing warm, sunny spot. It has more than
doubled in diameter (it's now around 6 cm), and has put out at least a
dozen stems around 150 cm long, but no sign of flower buds.

--

Jeff
Old 03-08-2014, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-08-03 20:56:01 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

I see you offer this. Does it flower for you? I grew one in a pot for
years, and it never flowered. Last year I bought one at Pan-Global, and
put it outside in a south-facing warm, sunny spot. It has more than
doubled in diameter (it's now around 6 cm), and has put out at least a
dozen stems around 150 cm long, but no sign of flower buds.

Ray put one outside last autumn and it's about 6' tall and as you
describe, has put on a lot of new growth. He'll check it tomorrow to
see if it has any buds. The mature one we have indoors has buds and
flowers regularly and generously. One of its 'babies' flowered earlier
this year at a height of 3', under glass. Roy Lancaster told us he'd
had one flowering outside in his Hampshire garden then lost it to hard
frosts. Ray thinks that Pan-Global is now selling only seed of this
because of the expense of keeping it in flowering/cuttings mode under
glass. I'll let you know what we find on our outdoor one tomorrow, if
anything.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
I see you offer this. Does it flower for you? I grew one in a pot for
years, and it never flowered. Last year I bought one at Pan-Global, and
put it outside in a south-facing warm, sunny spot. It has more than
doubled in diameter (it's now around 6 cm), and has put out at least a
dozen stems around 150 cm long, but no sign of flower buds.

It flowers for me, though so late that it relies on a warm
autumn. It has no flower buds yet.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
I see you offer this. Does it flower for you? I grew one in a pot for
years, and it never flowered. Last year I bought one at Pan-Global, and put
it outside in a south-facing warm, sunny spot. It has more than doubled in
diameter (it's now around 6 cm), and has put out at least a dozen stems
around 150 cm long, but no sign of flower buds.

--

Jeff

Jeff, they often flower very late in the season, Sep/Oct being typical, two
things you can do help, first keep snails and slugs off the overwinter below
ground buds, and second try and get things moving as quickly as possible in
the spring. Although this is a tree or large shrub it behaves like a
herbaceous perennial here in the UK, heavy mulching in winter and/or a
cloche in the spring can gain a vital couple of weeks. The Garden House and
Rosemoor both have this doing OK, neither garden would regard themselves as
mild but in both cases the Erythrina is at the base of a warm wall.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 04-08-2014, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/08/2014 21:56, Jeff Layman wrote:
I see you offer this. Does it flower for you? I grew one in a pot for
years, and it never flowered. Last year I bought one at Pan-Global, and
put it outside in a south-facing warm, sunny spot. It has more than
doubled in diameter (it's now around 6 cm), and has put out at least a
dozen stems around 150 cm long, but no sign of flower buds.

Thanks for all the replies.

It is at the base of a dwarf-south facing patio wall, and about 3 metres
from the south-facing wall of the house here in South Hampshire. It was
mulched in winter, but there was almost no frost here anyway. As other
plants seem to be weeks ahead, I had hoped it might show some flower
buds by now. Some more patience required, methinks!

--

Jeff