Old 04-08-2014, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Sacha - Erythrina crista-galli

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
I see you offer this. Does it flower for you? I grew one in a pot for
years, and it never flowered. Last year I bought one at Pan-Global, and put
it outside in a south-facing warm, sunny spot. It has more than doubled in
diameter (it's now around 6 cm), and has put out at least a dozen stems
around 150 cm long, but no sign of flower buds.

--

Jeff

Jeff, they often flower very late in the season, Sep/Oct being typical, two
things you can do help, first keep snails and slugs off the overwinter below
ground buds, and second try and get things moving as quickly as possible in
the spring. Although this is a tree or large shrub it behaves like a
herbaceous perennial here in the UK, heavy mulching in winter and/or a
cloche in the spring can gain a vital couple of weeks. The Garden House and
Rosemoor both have this doing OK, neither garden would regard themselves as
mild but in both cases the Erythrina is at the base of a warm wall.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs