Old 05-08-2014, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cuttings vases

On 8/5/2014 7:12 AM, mkr5000 wrote [in part]:

Another question -- is the "quick start" rooting liquid of any value? I know you use the powder when trying to root in pots.

That "quick start" I mentioned -- I wonder if adding a bit of that to the water would help? (And I know keeping the water changed is important.

Keeping the water changed is important for cut flowers. For rooting
plants, I never change the water.

I have a Philodendron growing in water in a decorative glass bottle. I
rooted it in a drinking glass well over a year ago. Occasionally, I
added water to the glass but never changed it. When it had roots, I
discarded the parent plant and placed the rooted cutting into the bottle
with the water from the glass. Since then, I have never changed the
water. I just keep topping up the existing water.

Once or twice a year, I add a few drops of the liquid fertilizer that I
use on my orchids but only after I dilute the fertilizer to 1/4 the
strength I use for the orchids.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see