Old 13-08-2014, 02:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Neonic persistense

Terry Coombs said:
Knowing that many seeds these days are treated with neonics , I'm
wondering if that stuff is also present in the plants grown from seeds from
the original plant . And how many generations does it persist if in fact it
does . I like to save my seeds because I believe that seeds from a plant
grown here will be more acclimatized to this area . Second and 3rd gen
seeds even more so ...

As far as I know, the biggest problem with seeds treated with neonicotinoids
is in large scale agriculture, because of the amount of dust released when the
seeds are handled and planted.

The amount of the chemical in a single seed vs. the whole plant that grows
from it and the fruit and seeds of that plant is not something a home
gardener need worry much about. You take bigger risks each day walking
through your house and out to the garden, driving a car, or crossing a street
on foot.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."