Old 13-08-2014, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
indigo indigo is offline

Default Fuchsia foliage filchers

A Fuchsia 'Blackie' that I've been growing on from a rooted cutting in a
pot on the patio was being nibbled by something, but I couldn't find any
culprits 'til yesterday.

Two very big and apparently very hungry caterpillars had appeared, with
markings like great big eyes at the head end and waving 'snouts' -
strange looking things. Think they're Elephant Hawk Moth larvae and as
far as I can remember these are the first I've noticed in our garden.

Later they'd gone again, but one was found hiding underneath the stems
in nearby pot of Basil and the other was wandering across to the lawn.
The poor fuchsia is left somewhat defoliated, to say the least, so I've
transferred both beasties to a long established 'Mrs Popple' out in the
garden, and hope they'll have had their fill soon!

--
Sue