Old 13-08-2014, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Neonic persistense

Terry Coombs wrote:
Knowing that many seeds these days are treated with neonics , I'm
wondering if that stuff is also present in the plants grown from
seeds from the original plant .

No. The problem with insecticides is when they get into the environment in
sufficient quantity to be ingested by beneficial organisms, such as bees,
and so to kill or damage them . This cannot happen here. The whole idea of
'organic' seeds is rather religous muddy thinking to me.

And how many generations does it
persist if in fact it does . I like to save my seeds because I
believe that seeds from a plant grown here will be more acclimatized
to this area . Second and 3rd gen seeds even more so ...

Neither individual seeds nor plants acclimatise in a way that is transmitted
to their offspring (this is the discredited Lamarkism). However, if you
always breed from those that perform best in your conditions you can gain an
advantage because you are then altering the composition of the gene pool in
a way that future generations will suit the conditions (this is Darwinian
selection). In enough generations you could form your own cultivar. This
has been the basis of selective plant breeding for thousands of years even
before people understood how it worked.

--
David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.