Old 28-08-2014, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fruit tree grase bands?

"News" wrote in message
On 27/08/2014 18:23, Charlie Pridham wrote:
I have had loads of problems with pests this year but on looking into it
it appears my two worst problems Coddling moth on apples and Plum moth
on plums, both have females that fly and therefore grease bands don't
work. I shall be trying pheromone traps next year.

I can't comment on the grease bands (or the pear midge) I'm afraid.

But I have found the pheromone traps very effective against Codling and
Plum moths - although I've only ever used the ones that you get in the
garden centres. Don't know if there are more industrial versions
available. And even the refills aren't cheap.

In recent years, they seem to have had their advertised function changed
to being 'indicators' rather than solutions. (Once you see the males
getting caught in the trap, I guess you are supposed to launch the nuclear
option - whatever that might be).

However, I've continued to use them as my only form of defence. They
either work well, or my area is not very susceptible to the moths. (The
traps trap them, but in the tens, not in the hundreds).

--
regards andy

All useful to know - thanks

--