Old 02-09-2014, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Well I never!

On 2014-09-02 13:23:16 +0000, David Hill said:

I was over at my neighbours around 1pm when a massive insect landed on
some wood he has for cutting up for his stove.
I have never seen anything like it before, neither had he and he is in
his 80's nor had his nephew so that between us that was around 200
years of country living and observing creatures.
It was Wasp like with an orange ish rear wilt along "tail" Oviposter
I presume.
It was the best part of 2 inches long.
Checking on-line the nearest I can find is a giant wood wasp, though
the pictures are more yellow than our beasty.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2010/07/...-wasp-from-uk/

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ectedIndex=396

David @ a nice sunny side of Swansea Bay.

I hope it stay in Wales, is all I can add to that! Shudder.

Do tell us if they swarm in Devon :-)

You will hear the screams over the water! ;-)

They are not wasps
They are solitary insects.
They are gentle, well the one walking over my arm was, she was lovely (
and I wouldn't let Vespula vulgaris) do that to me.
Sacha, if you saw one you would be fascinated by it