Old 02-09-2014, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Well I never!

I was over at my neighbours around 1pm when a massive insect landed on
some wood he has for cutting up for his stove.
I have never seen anything like it before, neither had he and he is in
his 80's nor had his nephew so that between us that was around 200 years
of country living and observing creatures.
It was Wasp like with an orange ish rear wilt along "tail" Oviposter I
presume.
It was the best part of 2 inches long.
Checking on-line the nearest I can find is a giant wood wasp, though the
pictures are more yellow than our beasty.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2010/07/...-wasp-from-uk/

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ectedIndex=396

David @ a nice sunny side of Swansea Bay.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-09-02 13:23:16 +0000, David Hill said:

I was over at my neighbours around 1pm when a massive insect landed on
some wood he has for cutting up for his stove.
I have never seen anything like it before, neither had he and he is in
his 80's nor had his nephew so that between us that was around 200
years of country living and observing creatures.
It was Wasp like with an orange ish rear wilt along "tail" Oviposter I presume.
It was the best part of 2 inches long.
Checking on-line the nearest I can find is a giant wood wasp, though
the pictures are more yellow than our beasty.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2010/07/...-wasp-from-uk/

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ectedIndex=396

David @ a nice sunny side of Swansea Bay.

I hope it stay in Wales, is all I can add to that! Shudder.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-09-2014, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Could it be the German Wasp? That's about all I can find in our books, but
that is only up to 17mm long.

Mike

For those ex Royal Navy.
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 – 8.00 pm Wednesday 3rd September 2014
‘From the Crowe’s Nest’

Old 02-09-2014, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I was over at my neighbours around 1pm when a massive insect landed on
some wood he has for cutting up for his stove.
I have never seen anything like it before, neither had he and he is in his
80's nor had his nephew so that between us that was around 200 years of
country living and observing creatures.
It was Wasp like with an orange ish rear wilt along "tail" Oviposter I
presume.
It was the best part of 2 inches long.
Checking on-line the nearest I can find is a giant wood wasp, though the
pictures are more yellow than our beasty.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2010/07/...-wasp-from-uk/

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ectedIndex=396

We used to see several of these in when we lived in Norfolk. Colour varied
from yellow to Orange, with some big ones nearing 3 inches long. Not seen
one since we moved to North Yorkshire though.

Mike

Old 02-09-2014, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-09-02 13:23:16 +0000, David Hill said:

I was over at my neighbours around 1pm when a massive insect landed on
some wood he has for cutting up for his stove.
I have never seen anything like it before, neither had he and he is in
his 80's nor had his nephew so that between us that was around 200
years of country living and observing creatures.
It was Wasp like with an orange ish rear wilt along "tail" Oviposter I presume.
It was the best part of 2 inches long.
Checking on-line the nearest I can find is a giant wood wasp, though
the pictures are more yellow than our beasty.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2010/07/...-wasp-from-uk/

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ectedIndex=396

David @ a nice sunny side of Swansea Bay.

I hope it stay in Wales, is all I can add to that! Shudder.

Do tell us if they swarm in Devon :-)

You will hear the screams over the water! ;-)

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-09-2014, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-09-02 13:23:16 +0000, David Hill said:

I was over at my neighbours around 1pm when a massive insect landed on
some wood he has for cutting up for his stove.
I have never seen anything like it before, neither had he and he is in
his 80's nor had his nephew so that between us that was around 200
years of country living and observing creatures.
It was Wasp like with an orange ish rear wilt along "tail" Oviposter
I presume.
It was the best part of 2 inches long.
Checking on-line the nearest I can find is a giant wood wasp, though
the pictures are more yellow than our beasty.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2010/07/...-wasp-from-uk/

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ectedIndex=396

David @ a nice sunny side of Swansea Bay.

I hope it stay in Wales, is all I can add to that! Shudder.

Do tell us if they swarm in Devon :-)

You will hear the screams over the water! ;-)

They are not wasps
They are solitary insects.
They are gentle, well the one walking over my arm was, she was lovely (
and I wouldn't let Vespula vulgaris) do that to me.
Sacha, if you saw one you would be fascinated by it
Old 02-09-2014, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-09-02 17:31:26 +0000, David Hill said:

snip

They are not wasps
They are solitary insects.
They are gentle, well the one walking over my arm was, she was lovely (
and I wouldn't let Vespula vulgaris) do that to me.
Sacha, if you saw one you would be fascinated by it

I might be fascinated but I would not be up close and personal!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com