Old 02-09-2014, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Confused plants

A few days ago I had a look at the apples to see if they had ripened,
and found a single flower open on the tree. Rather unusual, but not unique.

The Ceanothus arboreus has over a dozen flowers out. Most certainly not
unusual, as Ceanothus often has a few flowers out in early autumn.

But I just had a look at the Hamamelis mollis I bought a couple of
months ago, and whose leaves are rapidly turning their yellow autumn
colour. I found it smothered in flowers! Why is it flowering now? There
hasn't been even a hint of cold weather. I guess there is a good chance
that it isn't mollis, but virginiana, and the buyer is more confused
than the plant!

--

Jeff