Old 02-09-2014, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Confused plants

A few days ago I had a look at the apples to see if they had ripened,
and found a single flower open on the tree. Rather unusual, but not unique.

The Ceanothus arboreus has over a dozen flowers out. Most certainly not
unusual, as Ceanothus often has a few flowers out in early autumn.

But I just had a look at the Hamamelis mollis I bought a couple of
months ago, and whose leaves are rapidly turning their yellow autumn
colour. I found it smothered in flowers! Why is it flowering now? There
hasn't been even a hint of cold weather. I guess there is a good chance
that it isn't mollis, but virginiana, and the buyer is more confused
than the plant!

--

Jeff
Old 04-09-2014, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/09/2014 19:15, Jeff Layman wrote:
A few days ago I had a look at the apples to see if they had ripened,
and found a single flower open on the tree. Rather unusual, but not unique.

The Ceanothus arboreus has over a dozen flowers out. Most certainly not
unusual, as Ceanothus often has a few flowers out in early autumn.

But I just had a look at the Hamamelis mollis I bought a couple of
months ago, and whose leaves are rapidly turning their yellow autumn
colour. I found it smothered in flowers! Why is it flowering now? There
hasn't been even a hint of cold weather. I guess there is a good chance
that it isn't mollis, but virginiana, and the buyer is more confused
than the plant!

Not veg but my honeysuckle is flowering its head off, better than the
spring.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/09/2014 17:40, David Hill wrote:
On 02/09/2014 19:15, Jeff Layman wrote:
A few days ago I had a look at the apples to see if they had ripened,
and found a single flower open on the tree. Rather unusual, but not
unique.

The Ceanothus arboreus has over a dozen flowers out. Most certainly not
unusual, as Ceanothus often has a few flowers out in early autumn.

But I just had a look at the Hamamelis mollis I bought a couple of
months ago, and whose leaves are rapidly turning their yellow autumn
colour. I found it smothered in flowers! Why is it flowering now? There
hasn't been even a hint of cold weather. I guess there is a good chance
that it isn't mollis, but virginiana, and the buyer is more confused
than the plant!

Not veg but my honeysuckle is flowering its head off, better than the
spring.

Confused poster.
After my posting under Skin stuff I must have been thinking about melons,
Old 04-09-2014, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-09-04 16:40:20 +0000, David Hill said:

On 02/09/2014 19:15, Jeff Layman wrote:
A few days ago I had a look at the apples to see if they had ripened,
and found a single flower open on the tree. Rather unusual, but not unique.

The Ceanothus arboreus has over a dozen flowers out. Most certainly not
unusual, as Ceanothus often has a few flowers out in early autumn.

But I just had a look at the Hamamelis mollis I bought a couple of
months ago, and whose leaves are rapidly turning their yellow autumn
colour. I found it smothered in flowers! Why is it flowering now? There
hasn't been even a hint of cold weather. I guess there is a good chance
that it isn't mollis, but virginiana, and the buyer is more confused
than the plant!

Not veg but my honeysuckle is flowering its head off, better than the spring.

I saw a flower on Clematis cirrhosa balearica today - don't think
that's ever happened before, or not to my knowledge.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-09-2014, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-09-05 07:56:04 +0000, Martin said:

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 17:40:20 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 02/09/2014 19:15, Jeff Layman wrote:
A few days ago I had a look at the apples to see if they had ripened,
and found a single flower open on the tree. Rather unusual, but not unique.

The Ceanothus arboreus has over a dozen flowers out. Most certainly not
unusual, as Ceanothus often has a few flowers out in early autumn.

But I just had a look at the Hamamelis mollis I bought a couple of
months ago, and whose leaves are rapidly turning their yellow autumn
colour. I found it smothered in flowers! Why is it flowering now? There
hasn't been even a hint of cold weather. I guess there is a good chance
that it isn't mollis, but virginiana, and the buyer is more confused
than the plant!

Not veg but my honeysuckle is flowering its head off, better than the
spring.

Our honeysuckle flowered well, but stopped flowering and lost all the leaves at
the end of August and seems to think it is winter already. The same thing
happened last year.
Our nashi/asian pears were ripe long before we expected them to be ripe.

Ray ate one of our three Nashis last night. He wasn't overly impressed.
;-) And a species Camellia (spring flowering) has one solitary flower
on it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-09-2014, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I bought 3 Amaryllis/Hippeastrum bulbs last Xmas, they flowered in
Feb/march now one has flowered again and the second has been in flower
for the last 10 days.
I did nothing to them, just kept them in amongst the orchids.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

;-)

I was impressed by the large variety, but the small variety could have been any
pear.

I think I might have wasted my money. Otoh, his elm tree is doing
well, it seems!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-09-2014, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-09-07 08:12:50 +0000, Martin said:
snip

I would recommend the one that has produced apple shaped and sized pears, if I
could be sure that the labels hadn't been crossed over. Incidentally, when we
bought a supermarket nashi pear in the last year it was equally disappointing.
The one we like has fruit that is like the nashi pears that we bought in a
supermarket decades ago.

This is an apple shaped fruit with brown skin but rock hard at present.
But so are the Belle de Jersey pears that we're growing. One of those
has 9 pears on it and one has 3!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-09-2014, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Weirdest thing I have were white hyacinths that had already flowered
once this spring in flower again about a month ago. Malformed in that
the flower stalk barely got above the ground before the flowers opened.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown