Old 06-09-2014, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Confused plants

On 2014-09-05 07:56:04 +0000, Martin said:

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 17:40:20 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 02/09/2014 19:15, Jeff Layman wrote:
A few days ago I had a look at the apples to see if they had ripened,
and found a single flower open on the tree. Rather unusual, but not unique.

The Ceanothus arboreus has over a dozen flowers out. Most certainly not
unusual, as Ceanothus often has a few flowers out in early autumn.

But I just had a look at the Hamamelis mollis I bought a couple of
months ago, and whose leaves are rapidly turning their yellow autumn
colour. I found it smothered in flowers! Why is it flowering now? There
hasn't been even a hint of cold weather. I guess there is a good chance
that it isn't mollis, but virginiana, and the buyer is more confused
than the plant!

Not veg but my honeysuckle is flowering its head off, better than the
spring.

Our honeysuckle flowered well, but stopped flowering and lost all the leaves at
the end of August and seems to think it is winter already. The same thing
happened last year.
Our nashi/asian pears were ripe long before we expected them to be ripe.

Ray ate one of our three Nashis last night. He wasn't overly impressed.
;-)

I was impressed by the large variety, but the small variety could have been any
pear.

I think I might have wasted my money. Otoh, his elm tree is doing
well, it seems!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com