Old 15-09-2014, 09:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
BarbaraH[_2_] BarbaraH[_2_] is offline

Default Broccoli Flowers-8726

Bob Hobden pretended :

What we call Bumble Bees. They get up earlier than Honey bees and go
to bed later and will even be seen around during a warm spell in
winter, very important pollinators. Some of ours do make a "nest", we
had one in our compost heap last year. Went to dig out the heap and
suddenly I was surrounded with a number of large angry bees obviously
wanting me to go away. I just left them to finish their years work.

http://bumblebeeconservation.org/about-bees/ (and you can download
a factsheet near the bottom)

Interesting to see there is a decline in the Bumble Bees, not good news
at all.
We don't have Bumble Bees in mainland Australia, however some were
'accidently' introduced in Tasmania about 20 years a go.
Some of our native bees are extremely tiny, I've tried to get some
photos of them, but it is a little difficult, due to their tiny size.
:-)