Old 19-09-2014, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Gladiolus from its seeds ?

On 19/09/2014 15:27, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 07/09/2014 15:44, Janet wrote:

A clump of Black Prince (iirc) which has survived several winters in
the open garden, has produced fat seed pods for the first time.

Has anyone propagated cultivated, large-flowered glads from their own
garden seed? Any guesses how long from seed to flowering size corms?

Janet

I was interested enough in your Gladiolus to google for an image of it.
There's a list of Glads 'Black ...'something, but no 'Black Prince'.
If you have a moment to google it yourself, you may be reminded of the
true name. If you do, would you post it here so I (and others) can look
it up? Pretty please.

Sorry, the group have been in the ground for several years so their
label has long since gone. The flowers are a very deep blackish red.
"Dark star" below looks similar though the name doesn't ring a bell

http://www.rosecottageplants.co.uk/g...diflora-black-
star/p229

Mine were one of those amazingly cheap prepacks from a DIY shed,
probably B and Q, so you may find some there...I can never resist
another pkt of those even though I know the name and illustrations are
often way off the mark. Another packet I grew (illustrated as deep
purple) is really strident dayglo orange :-(

Janet.

Thanks for checking, Janet. If G.'Black Star' is near enough, then it's
certainly very attractive. I could live with that. I'll check out B&Q,
then.

I can also live with many orange flowers, but I'm not at all sure about
day-glo orange gladdies. They might work in a really fierce 'hot'
garden with other sizzling colours, but I don't think I'd be cutting
them for the house. What did you do with them?
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London