Old 07-09-2014, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gladiolus from its seeds ?

A clump of Black Prince (iirc) which has survived several winters in
the open garden, has produced fat seed pods for the first time.

Has anyone propagated cultivated, large-flowered glads from their own
garden seed? Any guesses how long from seed to flowering size corms?

Janet

Old 07-09-2014, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/09/2014 18:50, ws wrote:
On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 15:44:54 +0100, Janet wrote:

A clump of Black Prince (iirc) which has survived several winters in the
open garden, has produced fat seed pods for the first time.

Has anyone propagated cultivated, large-flowered glads from their own
garden seed? Any guesses how long from seed to flowering size corms?

Janet

From memory, plant one season, overwinter, they should flower next season.

If it was that easy then we wouldn't bother with corms.
I think you will find it's 3 to 4 seasons from sowing to flowering, and
they do benefit from lifting at the end of each season.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"ws" wrote

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 15:44:54 +0100, Janet wrote:

A clump of Black Prince (iirc) which has survived several winters in the
open garden, has produced fat seed pods for the first time.

Has anyone propagated cultivated, large-flowered glads from their own
garden seed? Any guesses how long from seed to flowering size corms?

From memory, plant one season, overwinter, they should flower next season.

I think you may be confusing seed with the tiny corms that some Glads
produce around their existing corms, and they take more than one season to
flower anyway IME.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote:

I get loads of new corms but they will be clones of the parent
anyway... only seeds offer the prospect of "now for something
completely different"

So in a couple or three years, please post if anything worthwhile came of
the seeds. I hadn't thought of trying that; I only re-started growing
glads this year, and all the flowers have gone directly to SWMBO. Perhaps
I'll leave a couple and see if they set seed.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote

says...

"ws" wrote

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 15:44:54 +0100, Janet wrote:

A clump of Black Prince (iirc) which has survived several winters in
the
open garden, has produced fat seed pods for the first time.

Has anyone propagated cultivated, large-flowered glads from their own
garden seed? Any guesses how long from seed to flowering size corms?

From memory, plant one season, overwinter, they should flower next
season.

I think you may be confusing seed with the tiny corms that some Glads
produce around their existing corms, and they take more than one season
flower anyway IME.

I think you're right BOB (I thought that seemed awfully quick too)

I get loads of new corms but they will be clones of the parent
anyway... only seeds offer the prospect of "now for something
completely different" (as Monty Dons twin brother Python might have
said)

I would usually agree with you but we bought some Glads from Pheasant Acre
Plants last year, delivered this spring and one batch, Rotary, has one that
is distinctly different, a redder orange, on showing a photo to the guy from
the nursery (at Wisley flower show) he said it's a sport and what a lucky
chap I am. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 19-09-2014, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/09/2014 15:44, Janet wrote:

A clump of Black Prince (iirc) which has survived several winters in
the open garden, has produced fat seed pods for the first time.

Has anyone propagated cultivated, large-flowered glads from their own
garden seed? Any guesses how long from seed to flowering size corms?

Janet

I was interested enough in your Gladiolus to google for an image of it.
There's a list of Glads 'Black ...'something, but no 'Black Prince'.
If you have a moment to google it yourself, you may be reminded of the
true name. If you do, would you post it here so I (and others) can look
it up? Pretty please.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 19-09-2014, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/09/2014 15:27, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 07/09/2014 15:44, Janet wrote:

A clump of Black Prince (iirc) which has survived several winters in
the open garden, has produced fat seed pods for the first time.

Has anyone propagated cultivated, large-flowered glads from their own
garden seed? Any guesses how long from seed to flowering size corms?

Janet

I was interested enough in your Gladiolus to google for an image of it.
There's a list of Glads 'Black ...'something, but no 'Black Prince'.
If you have a moment to google it yourself, you may be reminded of the
true name. If you do, would you post it here so I (and others) can look
it up? Pretty please.

Sorry, the group have been in the ground for several years so their
label has long since gone. The flowers are a very deep blackish red.
"Dark star" below looks similar though the name doesn't ring a bell

http://www.rosecottageplants.co.uk/g...diflora-black-
star/p229

Mine were one of those amazingly cheap prepacks from a DIY shed,
probably B and Q, so you may find some there...I can never resist
another pkt of those even though I know the name and illustrations are
often way off the mark. Another packet I grew (illustrated as deep
purple) is really strident dayglo orange :-(

Janet.

Thanks for checking, Janet. If G.'Black Star' is near enough, then it's
certainly very attractive. I could live with that. I'll check out B&Q,
then.

I can also live with many orange flowers, but I'm not at all sure about
day-glo orange gladdies. They might work in a really fierce 'hot'
garden with other sizzling colours, but I don't think I'd be cutting
them for the house. What did you do with them?
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London