Old 02-10-2014, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default I grew a "California Organic" labeled Beet

Terry Coombs wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
On 30/09/2014 3:38 PM, Bob F wrote:
Pulled up a beet today, and noticed while washing it that it had a
firmly attached clearly readable "California Organic" oval label on
it. The label must have come off an avacado skin or something which
had gone through my 2 year composting process. Then, the beet grew
against it. It looked like it just came from the store.

I hate those labels.

Yep.

I try to do my part and compost, and those labels are often
very hard to remove to throw in the garbage.

Yep.

I am constantly picking them out of
the compost as I spread it, but you can't get them all.

Yep.

I propose a law
requireing that such labels be quickly compostable. I'd prefer they
were outlawed.

Yep.

Speaking of organic , can I consider muscadines that grew wild out
in the woods "organic" ? Do I have to use "organic" sugar and yeast
to have the results considered "organic" ? Does organic wine get you
an organic high ? Or should I just drink it and not worry about it ?

That depends. There is no universal definition of 'organic'. For things
you might sell 'organic' means whatever the regulatory authorities who
control labelling say it means. For your own use choose your own definition
and if you want to stick to it.

Whether or not a label is compostible is hardly likely to be related to
whether the product can be labelled organic. Regardless of the product I
don't think wanting labels to be suitable for recycling is an extreme view
whether you are a home composter or it goes into landfill.

It seems to me that if your target consumer cares if the food is organic
there is good chance that they would care about the disposal of the label
and so using excessively durable labels is a silly mistake. Why annoy your
consumer over nothing?

--
David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.