Old 02-10-2014, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default I grew a "California Organic" labeled Beet

On 30/09/2014 3:38 PM, Bob F wrote:
Pulled up a beet today, and noticed while washing it that it had a firmly
attached clearly readable "California Organic" oval label on it.

The label must have come off an avacado skin or something which had gone through
my 2 year composting process. Then, the beet grew against it. It looked like it
just came from the store.

I hate those labels.

Yep.

I try to do my part and compost, and those labels are often
very hard to remove to throw in the garbage.

Yep.

I am constantly picking them out of
the compost as I spread it, but you can't get them all.

Yep.

I propose a law
requireing that such labels be quickly compostable. I'd prefer they were
outlawed.

Yep.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fran Farmer wrote:
[...]

Speaking of organic , can I consider muscadines that grew wild out in the
woods "organic" ? Do I have to use "organic" sugar and yeast to have the
results considered "organic" ? Does organic wine get you an organic high ?
Or should I just drink it and not worry about it ?
--
Snag
Slow night at

Old 02-10-2014, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
[...]

That depends. There is no universal definition of 'organic'. For things
you might sell 'organic' means whatever the regulatory authorities who
control labelling say it means. For your own use choose your own definition
and if you want to stick to it.

Whether or not a label is compostible is hardly likely to be related to
whether the product can be labelled organic. Regardless of the product I
don't think wanting labels to be suitable for recycling is an extreme view
whether you are a home composter or it goes into landfill.

It seems to me that if your target consumer cares if the food is organic
there is good chance that they would care about the disposal of the label
and so using excessively durable labels is a silly mistake. Why annoy your
consumer over nothing?

--
David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
On 30/09/2014 3:38 PM, Bob F wrote:
Pulled up a beet today, and noticed while washing it that it had a
firmly attached clearly readable "California Organic" oval label on
it. The label must have come off an avacado skin or something which
had gone through my 2 year composting process. Then, the beet grew
against it. It looked like it just came from the store.

It seems to me that if your target consumer cares if the food is organic
there is good chance that they would care about the disposal of the label
and so using excessively durable labels is a silly mistake. Why annoy your
consumer over nothing?

Hmmm. I see a label-durability protest action where you stuff these
labels in next to every seed you plant, then spray poisons, fertilize
chemically and generally treat the plants as non-organically as
possible, pull them out, take whichever ones the labels stuck to and
haul them down to the farmers market to sell as "California Organic -
says so right on this here label!"

Heh, heh.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
[...]

I think I'll pass. Have fun!

Old 07-10-2014, 08:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/10/2014 10:20 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
[...]

You're not seeking certification are you? If the answer to that is "no"
or you don't know what I'm talking about, then do the latter.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fran Farmer wrote:
On 2/10/2014 10:20 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Speaking of organic , can I consider muscadines that grew wild
out in the woods "organic" ? Do I have to use "organic" sugar and
yeast to have the results considered "organic" ? Does organic wine
get you an organic high ? Or should I just drink it and not worry
about it ?

You're not seeking certification are you? If the answer to that is
"no" or you don't know what I'm talking about, then do the latter.

Actually Fran , I was poking fun at the "organic" movement . I make a
little wine for personal comsumption , and I use berries and fruit from the
woods around our house for most of it . Next year (if the hive survives and
we get some honey) I'll be trying my hand at mead ...
My garden might not be technically organic , I do use some 13/13/13
fertilizer , soapy water , BT and a fungicide as needed . But there are no
other pest control measures and no weed killers at all . I particularly
don't use glyphosate in any form . We suspect that my wife's digestion
problems might be related to carryover into such things as corn - partly
because the problems started as glyphosate came into widespread use .
--
Snag

Old 07-10-2014, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 10/7/2014 8:41 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
[...]

Ditto's.
Personally, I was trained as an organic chemist, so anything I do is OK.