Old 03-10-2014, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default I grew a "California Organic" labeled Beet

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
On 30/09/2014 3:38 PM, Bob F wrote:
Pulled up a beet today, and noticed while washing it that it had a
firmly attached clearly readable "California Organic" oval label
on it. The label must have come off an avacado skin or something
which had gone through my 2 year composting process. Then, the
beet grew against it. It looked like it just came from the store.

It seems to me that if your target consumer cares if the food is
organic there is good chance that they would care about the disposal
of the label and so using excessively durable labels is a silly
mistake. Why annoy your consumer over nothing?

Hmmm. I see a label-durability protest action where you stuff these
labels in next to every seed you plant, then spray poisons, fertilize
chemically and generally treat the plants as non-organically as
possible, pull them out, take whichever ones the labels stuck to and
haul them down to the farmers market to sell as "California Organic -
says so right on this here label!"

Heh, heh.

I think I'll pass. Have fun!