Old 06-10-2014, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Which Petrol Lawnmower?????

"kanewesley" wrote

Bob Hobden;Wrote:
"kanewesley" wrote-

Yes Bob....I DID post this question before but the only answer I got
which may have helped is :

"Get the same mower as your neighbour"!!!

He moved !

Being a novice in the Lawnmower engine world, I was hoping for the
experience and / or expert professional knowledge of a retired
gardener,
or groundsman or such, to guide me in the right direction.

ie "You need to get something along the lines of a Suffolk Model xxxxx,
or a Briggs & Stratton, or a Qualcast ...Model xxxxx, because these use
an oil pump instead of primitive splash system.

-
A professional would direct you to the sort of very expensive
professional 2
stroke mowers I gave you a link to before, perfect for your job except
for
the price. However what you need to do is ask the mower engine
suppliers or
mower makers, as I did for you with Honda, the sort of lubrication
system
they use (splash is no good for you, pump or pressure is) then you will
end
up with a list of engines/mowers to choose from.
I actually can't believe all Honda's engines are splash lubrication.

No Bob.......as primitive as the splash system is....neither can I !!

But thanks though....I think I may have to ring a few manufacturers
direct myself....or try and trace my old neighbour !

Just had this reply from Briggs and Stratton UK, looks like their engines
are all splash lubricated too .

"Typically , none of our walk behind lawnmower engines are pressure
lubricated , although some feature oil pumps and filters but these are
pressure filtration only. Lubrication for all of them is taken care of by a
gear driven splasher system.

When operating a lawnmower engine on a steep bank etc the first concern is
the safety of the operator. After that the main concern is the carburettor.
All of our engines will operate satisfactorily at an angle of 15 degrees
continuously in any direction and up to 30 degrees intermittently for a
period of no longer than a minute.

In most steep operating conditions it will be the engines fuel system which
will fail long before the lubrication system provided the engines oil level
is correctly maintained at the full mark on the dipstick. This is because
the gear driven oil splasher device will actually continue to work at any
angle long after the carburettor has given up functioning correctly."

That leaves Tecumseh to ask and I'll leave that question for you. They do
make 2 stroke engines too.
http://www.tecumsehpower.com/

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.