Old 14-10-2014, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david david is offline

Default Well I've pruned my rose bush...

On 14/10/2014 16:39, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Simon T" wrote

Following the advice of the good folk here, I've given my wayward rose
bush a bit of a trim.

Was told to remove any "dead" sections and try and trim it into a
"goblet" shape (the latter being a little tricky), not sure if I went
a little too far...

http://tinyurl.com/pg587k9

I know this isn't rocket science, but as I have a complete brown
thumb, wanted to know if this looks OK, or should I have gone too far,
or not far enough etc...

Thanks in advance.

Looks OK, if you wanted it to be a low shrub then you could have gone
further.

Good picture.
At the front you have 2 good young shoots growing from low down.
You could cut off the old stems they are growing from, just above the
new growth then shorten the new stems back to about 4 or 5 buds.
if you have another good shoot like these near the back you could do the
same there.
Next autumn you could do the same to another 3 stems. that way you would
be replacing the oldest growth with good new growth from the base of the
bush.
Feel it well in the spring.
David @ a muddy side of Swansea Bay