Old 15-10-2014, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default Well I've pruned my rose bush...

On 15/10/2014 15:08, Spider wrote:

I think you've done well for the time being. You could have taken out
more wood, but you can always do that in spring when you see the new
growth developing. To be totally honest, I would have completely
removed the oldest branch on the right but, again, you can make a
decision about that in spring.

The rose obviously hasn't been pruned in years, so a severe cut-back now
might have been too much of a shock to its system. In future years, and
with a bit more experience, you'll probably be confident enough to cut
back further, but it's fine for now.

It would be a good idea to remove those few dead leaves and other debris
from under the rose. These will almost certainly be carrying Black Spot
spores (and perhaps rose rust as well), which can reinfect the shrub.
Perhaps now, but certainly in spring, use a rose fungicide spray in
February/March to completely wash down the rose. This should prevent
those same spores (which will be 'resting' over winter on the stems)
from reinfecting the new growth.

We've got to do some sever pruning too. But I thought we were supposed
to wait until January?

Andy