Old 18-10-2014, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another John Another John is offline

Default Winter dressing for the borders

As subject ... I've been wanting to put a deep mulch of farmyard manure
over our borders for a year or two, at this time of year, in order to
improve the soil which is "tired" and too solid.

I've shied away from the manure idea mainly because I would have to
barrow the trailer load FROM our front drive THROUGH the garage, UP the
steps ... etc.

Instead I'm going to buy "recycled compost" as a soil improver. This is
the stuff that councils sell, which has "bits" in it, and stinks when it
first comes out of the bag. However I personally think it's a good
soil conditioner, having used it elsewhere for that purpose.

Finally my question(!): I have an old sack of Fish Blood and Bone meal.
I rather think I will use it all up in conjunction with the compost, to
lend a bit of "goodness" to it.

Should I put the FB&B on the soil now, UNDER the compost, or should I
wait until next Spring and sprinkle it OVER the composted borders?

Thanks a lot for any opinions,
John