Old 18-10-2014, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Winter dressing for the borders

As subject ... I've been wanting to put a deep mulch of farmyard manure
over our borders for a year or two, at this time of year, in order to
improve the soil which is "tired" and too solid.

I've shied away from the manure idea mainly because I would have to
barrow the trailer load FROM our front drive THROUGH the garage, UP the
steps ... etc.

Instead I'm going to buy "recycled compost" as a soil improver. This is
the stuff that councils sell, which has "bits" in it, and stinks when it
first comes out of the bag. However I personally think it's a good
soil conditioner, having used it elsewhere for that purpose.

Finally my question(!): I have an old sack of Fish Blood and Bone meal.
I rather think I will use it all up in conjunction with the compost, to
lend a bit of "goodness" to it.

Should I put the FB&B on the soil now, UNDER the compost, or should I
wait until next Spring and sprinkle it OVER the composted borders?

Thanks a lot for any opinions,
John
Old 18-10-2014, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/10/2014 09:41, Another John wrote:
[...]

First question
Do you have Foxes around?
If so they are going to did looking for the meat if the smell the Blood
fish and Bone,
If you have them then put it down under the compost and hope the
smell;;masks the odor of BF&B
Old 18-10-2014, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David wrote:

Do you have Foxes around?
If so they are going to did looking for the meat if the smell the Blood
fish and Bone,
If you have them then put it down under the compost and hope the
smell masks the odour of BF&B

Thanks David -- No -- no foxes around here.

J.
Old 18-10-2014, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Another John" wrote in message
]...

Thanks David -- No -- no foxes around here.

J.

Yet !!
P (:-)

Old 18-10-2014, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ],
says...

[...]

I'd save the FBB till spring. Then, rake back the mulch in a circle
round each shrub , scastter the FBB under its canopy and replace the
mulch. That way you get the nutrients to where they are needed, at the
right time.

I'm currently mulching the garden with seaweed collected from the
beach. From experience it's much easier to collect it into fertiliser
sacks which are easier to distribute round the garden... even when using
a barrow. Until recently we could get horse manure supplied in
fertiliser sacks (the way the horse owner clears their pasture) but that
supply seems to have dried up. Another useful mulch I use, is grass
clippings straight from the mower.

Janet

Old 18-10-2014, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/10/2014 12:32, Janet wrote:
In article ],
says...

[...]

My choice would be to put it down as you lay the mulch so that the smell
of the mulch kills the smell of the BF&B as it's slow release and under
the mulch it won't degrade all that much over winter and will be there
as soon as your plants start to make root growth which will be before
you see any new growth above ground, could well be in Feb. so not far
off, just about 14 weeks, and you haven't done the job yet.
David @ a soggy side of Swansea bay, 6.2 inches of rain so far this month.

Okay, I now yearn for more formal borders Travis Gardening 2 03-01-2005 02:28 AM
Flagging Borders Joanne United Kingdom 6 30-06-2004 04:23 PM
Best for beds and borders martin United Kingdom 0 15-12-2003 04:39 PM
seasonal borders/10ft thistle! Niall Smyth United Kingdom 3 20-09-2003 09:03 PM
Edging for curved borders? will United Kingdom 2 19-03-2003 09:32 PM