Old 18-10-2014, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david david is offline

Default Winter dressing for the borders

On 18/10/2014 09:41, Another John wrote:
As subject ... I've been wanting to put a deep mulch of farmyard manure
over our borders for a year or two, at this time of year, in order to
improve the soil which is "tired" and too solid.

I've shied away from the manure idea mainly because I would have to
barrow the trailer load FROM our front drive THROUGH the garage, UP the
steps ... etc.

Instead I'm going to buy "recycled compost" as a soil improver. This is
the stuff that councils sell, which has "bits" in it, and stinks when it
first comes out of the bag. However I personally think it's a good
soil conditioner, having used it elsewhere for that purpose.

Finally my question(!): I have an old sack of Fish Blood and Bone meal.
I rather think I will use it all up in conjunction with the compost, to
lend a bit of "goodness" to it.

Should I put the FB&B on the soil now, UNDER the compost, or should I
wait until next Spring and sprinkle it OVER the composted borders?

Thanks a lot for any opinions,
John

First question
Do you have Foxes around?
If so they are going to did looking for the meat if the smell the Blood
fish and Bone,
If you have them then put it down under the compost and hope the
smell;;masks the odor of BF&B