Old 19-10-2014, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek[_2_] Steve Peek[_2_] is offline

Default Blueberry pollination?

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 11:27:37 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Steve Peek wrote:

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 12:17:24 AM UTC-4, Davej wrote:

I was given a single blueberry plant several years ago but I

understand that several plants are needed to achieve pollination. Is

it possible I could split this root-ball up to produce the several

necessary plants? It seems to be a late summer variety. Since I

don't know what variety it is I don't know how I would buy more of

them.

Splitting the plant won't help, you must have a different variety.

Knowing what genus you have would be helpful. Where are you and at

what elevation?

If he were to go buy 2 bushes that do well in his climate he'd be certain

to have a different variety for polination . One of our local groceries has

a very nice nursery - with a very knowledgeable young lady to help . Davej ,

I'd bet you have a place with a very knowledgeable person near you too . Use

their knowledge , and buy from them .

--

Snag

Not necessarily, Snag, at least in my area. It's common in my area to see both rabbiteye and northern highbush at the same garden shop. They are from a different genera and won't pollinate each other. Therefore, he must buy two rabbiteye and two northern highbush to be certain of good pollination. Rabbiteye is Vaccineum asheii and northern highbush is V. corymbosum.