Old 18-10-2014, 05:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Blueberry pollination?

I was given a single blueberry plant several years ago but I understand that several plants are needed to achieve pollination. Is it possible I could split this root-ball up to produce the several necessary plants? It seems to be a late summer variety. Since I don't know what variety it is I don't know how I would buy more of them.
Old 18-10-2014, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 12:17:24 AM UTC-4, Davej wrote:
I was given a single blueberry plant several years ago but I understand that several plants are needed to achieve pollination. Is it possible I could split this root-ball up to produce the several necessary plants? It seems to be a late summer variety. Since I don't know what variety it is I don't know how I would buy more of them.

Splitting the plant won't help, you must have a different variety. Knowing what genus you have would be helpful. Where are you and at what elevation?
Old 19-10-2014, 04:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:
On Saturday, October 18, 2014 12:17:24 AM UTC-4, Davej wrote:
I was given a single blueberry plant several years ago but I
understand that several plants are needed to achieve pollination. Is
it possible I could split this root-ball up to produce the several
necessary plants? It seems to be a late summer variety. Since I
don't know what variety it is I don't know how I would buy more of
them.

Splitting the plant won't help, you must have a different variety.
Knowing what genus you have would be helpful. Where are you and at
what elevation?

If he were to go buy 2 bushes that do well in his climate he'd be certain
to have a different variety for polination . One of our local groceries has
a very nice nursery - with a very knowledgeable young lady to help . Davej ,
I'd bet you have a place with a very knowledgeable person near you too . Use
their knowledge , and buy from them .

--
Snag

Old 19-10-2014, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 11:27:37 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Steve Peek wrote:

[...]

Not necessarily, Snag, at least in my area. It's common in my area to see both rabbiteye and northern highbush at the same garden shop. They are from a different genera and won't pollinate each other. Therefore, he must buy two rabbiteye and two northern highbush to be certain of good pollination. Rabbiteye is Vaccineum asheii and northern highbush is V. corymbosum.
Old 20-10-2014, 04:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:

[...]

Just show how little I know about blueberries . Up here we have wild "low
bush huckleberries" growing out in the woods . I gave up beating the
critters to them years ago .

--
Snag

Old 21-10-2014, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:
Davej wrote:
I was given a single blueberry plant several years ago
but I understand that several plants are needed to achieve
pollination. Is it possible I could split this root-ball
up to produce the several necessary plants? It seems to
be a late summer variety. Since I don't know what variety
it is I don't know how I would buy more of them.

[...]

Not necessarily, Snag, at least in my area. It's common in my
area to see both rabbiteye and northern highbush at the same
garden shop. They are from a different genera and won't
pollinate each other. Therefore, he must buy two rabbiteye and
two northern highbush to be certain of good pollination.
Rabbiteye is Vaccineum asheii and northern highbush is V.
corymbosum.

That is the problem, since I have no idea what variety I was given. Next year when I notice this plant flowering I will go visit the local plant-sellers and see if they have any blueberries that are also in flower.

Thanks,

Dave near STL
Old 21-10-2014, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:

Davej wrote:

[...]

Don't think that will help unless the nursery is at exactly the same orientation and elevation. I have 700 or so plants between 1900' and 2050' and the bloom time can vary by as much as a week or more.

Considering your location, I would try Northern Highbush for pollination.