Old 21-10-2014, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Davej Davej is offline

Default Blueberry pollination?

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 10:29:57 AM UTC-5, Steve Peek wrote:
On Saturday, October 18, 2014 11:27:37 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Steve Peek wrote:
Davej wrote:
I was given a single blueberry plant several years ago
but I understand that several plants are needed to achieve
pollination. Is it possible I could split this root-ball
up to produce the several necessary plants? It seems to
be a late summer variety. Since I don't know what variety
it is I don't know how I would buy more of them.

[...]

Not necessarily, Snag, at least in my area. It's common in my
area to see both rabbiteye and northern highbush at the same
garden shop. They are from a different genera and won't
pollinate each other. Therefore, he must buy two rabbiteye and
two northern highbush to be certain of good pollination.
Rabbiteye is Vaccineum asheii and northern highbush is V.
corymbosum.

That is the problem, since I have no idea what variety I was given. Next year when I notice this plant flowering I will go visit the local plant-sellers and see if they have any blueberries that are also in flower.

Thanks,

Dave near STL