Old 25-10-2014, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_3_] Pam Moore[_3_] is offline

Default Cymbidium query

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:39:22 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote ...

Spider wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote

I have told before the saga of my cymbidium which hasn't flowered
since I bought it at least 15 years ago though 4 plants I made by
splitting it and gave away, have all flowered the last 2 years.
The only reason I can think of is that I gave mine plenty of space in
a new pot, the others were crammed into smaller pots! All in orchid
compost.
Mine has been outside all summer.
Question; should I bring it in before we have a frost or leave it
untill we have had a few cold nights. It's looking very healthy and is
almost bursting its pot!

It needs cool nights to help initiate flowering but not frost at all,
that will kill it. All mine are still outside and now is the time to
give them some flower food or half strength tomato feed for a couple of
waterings.

I followed Bob's advice last year and my three Cymbidiums flowered for
the first time in approx. 3yrs. Gosh, Pam, you've got some patience!

Thanks Bob and Spider.
Will follow good advice! I don't like being beaten and while the plant
thrives I'll battle on and hope for flowers!

Some Cymbids are notorious for not flowering well but usually if you get
them to flower once they continue from there IME, probably because you have
worked out how to make it happen. I think the problem is our short growing
season where the new pseudobulbs don't get to full size in a season and
certainly don't mature enough to throw up a spike so you get flowering every
few years instead of annually.
As well as a couple of the normal small/medium sized ones I have three full
sized Cymbids (flower spikes get to about 5ft or more with large flowers)
and they are a right pain to get a decent flowering, two did last year, but
like you I refuse to be beaten.

Wow Bob. Yours sound impressive!
Spider, I liked your story of your determination too!
I would add that I have one of my 5 phals in flower and 3 more with
flower stems coming so I have them sussed!