Old 26-10-2014, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david david is offline

Default Cymbidium query

On 23/10/2014 15:33, Pam Moore wrote:
I have told before the saga of my cymbidium which hasn't flowered
since I bought it at least 15 years ago though 4 plants I made by
splitting it and gave away, have all flowered the last 2 years.
The only reason I can think of is that I gave mine plenty of space in
a new pot, the others were crammed into smaller pots! All in orchid
compost.
Mine has been outside all summer.
Question; should I bring it in before we have a frost or leave it
untill we have had a few cold nights. It's looking very healthy and is
almost bursting its pot!
Pam near Bristol

I hate to be different, but I repotted my 2 cymbidiums in June, they
have stayed in the glasshouse all summer with just Automatic vents, I
kept the doors shut.
Just checked on them and one has 3 flower spikes coming and the other
has 1 at present.
I wonder if it's the temp. change rather than exposing to near freezing
that initiates the flower development.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps9e80e083.jpg

Also a picture of the spotting I mentioned in another thread
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps3f67df3d.jpg