Old 29-10-2014, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Plant identification request

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 29/10/2014 10:09, Charles F wrote:
Good morning all,

As per title, I wonder if anyone has some ideas about the plant pictures
in the following link?

http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/CharlesJF/library/

It was bought at a local fair in the spring, un-named, and planted out.
It grew steadily, did nothing particularly interesting, and reached 6
foot plus by the end of the summer. This month it grew loads of bulbs,
and burst into flower as in the photos. It has a single stiff main stem,
feathery leaves, and had tight dark red buds about 12 to 14mm diameter
before flowering

At Wisley RHS I spotted a molopommesia peloponnesiacum, which looked
similar, and had the same bud formation - not flowering at the time.
However, looking it up this doesn't seem a good match for flower colour,
plant size, etc. Googling for characteristics hasn't got me very far
either.

We'd like to keep it, if it's a perennial, or get another in the spring
if it is an annual, as it's a welcome splash of colour at a time when
most other plants are heading for winter.

Thanks for your help,

Charles F

Well, Charles, that's a good try for your first-ever usenet post to a
gardening group.

Try Cosmos

The photo looks like cosmos.
However that would not fit with "loads of bulbs" and his ability to
look up "molopommesia peloponnesiacum" which google has never heard of
and won't even take a guess at.... so I suggest it's a new form of
Trollius lunifoolia.
Plant it deep and mulch well with manure.
Janet