Old 29-10-2014, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charles F Charles F is offline

Default Plant identification request

"David" wrote in message
On 29/10/2014 10:09, Charles F wrote:
Good morning all,

As per title, I wonder if anyone has some ideas about the plant pictures
in the following link?

http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/CharlesJF/library/

It was bought at a local fair in the spring, un-named, and planted out.
It grew steadily, did nothing particularly interesting, and reached 6
foot plus by the end of the summer. This month it grew loads of bulbs,
and burst into flower as in the photos. It has a single stiff main stem,
feathery leaves, and had tight dark red buds about 12 to 14mm diameter
before flowering

At Wisley RHS I spotted a molopommesia peloponnesiacum, which looked
similar, and had the same bud formation - not flowering at the time.
However, looking it up this doesn't seem a good match for flower colour,
plant size, etc. Googling for characteristics hasn't got me very far
either.

We'd like to keep it, if it's a perennial, or get another in the spring
if it is an annual, as it's a welcome splash of colour at a time when
most other plants are heading for winter.

Thanks for your help,

Charles F

---
protection is active.

Try Cosmos

Yes, that looks like it - and cosmos likes poor soil and heat - both of
which it got this summer.

Thanks!

Charles F

---