Old 13-11-2014, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default branch pruning saws

On 13/11/2014 07:00, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Emery Davis" wrote

Any recommendations for branch pruning saws? I've started the fall
pruning and it looks like a really big job. Did an oak and a horse
chestnut and really felt like the old rusty Stanley has had it.

Some people are recommending Silky saws as very good, like

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silky-270-39...dp/B003Y7MW9I/
ref=sr_1_13/279-1342980-2214807?
ie=UTF8&qid=1415833005&sr=8-13&keywords=silky+saw

Expensive but worth it to me if as good as they say. I have a lot of
3-6" branches to cut. I don't like to use the chain saw for pruning
unless branches are above 8" or so, I don't get a very precise cut with
it.

I use the Wolf multichange pruning saw and when a friend used it he went
out and bought one too. Very sharp and cuts with less effort than
expected. You can, of course, put it on a longer handle for out of the
way or high up branches.

I'd second that solution (although I actually have the rival one from
Gardena I wouldn't recommend it because the locking mechanism is weak).

It may have been improved since I got mine a couple of decades ago...

The advantage of being able to put the saw on a long pole is worth it!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown