Old 13-11-2014, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_3_] Broadback[_3_] is offline

Default Garlic shelf life

On 13/11/2014 16:09, 'Mike' wrote:
When my daughter visits us, she always makes a visit to the Garlic Farm
and stocks up for herself and usually has a shopping list from those
around her back on the North Island. Considering she might only visit a
couple of times a year due to pressure of work and her own very busy
life style, you're not going to tell me that she buys it and watches it
go bad/mouldy/whatever.

Mike
South East Coast of the Isle of Wight
Where the Garlic Farm is
and why not an advert? :-)
http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/

"Broadback" wrote in message ...

Watching a TV program in the last couple of days the cameras visited a
garlic farmer, who has found a new way of preserving garlic. He claimed
that garlic cannot be kept for more than three months. Is that true? I'm
sure that I have kept it longer.

The story was about a farmer in England, who being unable to make a
decent living from his farm started growing garlic. H claimed that his
wife gave him a few bulbs one year and his whole stock is from that. I
cannot remember the exact details of the treatment but they ended up
black. I would quite like to find a source as they did not smell
strongly, tasted more like Balsamic vinegar, which I am addicted to.
Also another plus is when squashed it turned into a purée type
substance, easy peasy! substance.