Old 13-11-2014, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Garlic shelf life

"Broadback" wrote
"Broadback" wrote
Watching a TV program in the last couple of days the cameras visited a
garlic farmer, who has found a new way of preserving garlic. He claimed
that garlic cannot be kept for more than three months. Is that true? I'm
sure that I have kept it longer.

The story was about a farmer in England, who being unable to make a decent
living from his farm started growing garlic. H claimed that his wife gave
him a few bulbs one year and his whole stock is from that. I cannot
remember the exact details of the treatment but they ended up black. I
would quite like to find a source as they did not smell strongly, tasted
more like Balsamic vinegar, which I am addicted to. Also another plus is
when squashed it turned into a purée type substance, easy peasy! substance.

Sound like the smoked garlic one can buy, ie, it's cooked.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.