Old 13-11-2014, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Garlic shelf life

"'Mike'" wrote
"Broadback" wrote
Watching a TV program in the last couple of days the cameras visited a
garlic farmer, who has found a new way of preserving garlic. He claimed
that garlic cannot be kept for more than three months. Is that true? I'm
sure that I have kept it longer.

When my daughter visits us, she always makes a visit to the Garlic Farm and
stocks up for herself and usually has a shopping list from those around her
back on the North Island. Considering she might only visit a couple of
times a year due to pressure of work and her own very busy life style,
you're not going to tell me that she buys it and watches it go
bad/mouldy/whatever.

The trouble is a lot of the GCs are now stocking IOW garlic as seed garlic
and the IOW is on chalk whereas we are on acid clay which is probably the
reason that any IOW garlic I've tried has not done well. I now refuse to buy
it for planting.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.