Old 27-11-2014, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] is offline

Default Mystery plant on a mountain

On 26/11/2014 22:50, Bob Hobden wrote:
This is obviously an escaped garden plant but it's high up just off the
Winlatter Pass in the Lake District and on the banks of a mountain
stream. Those a glossy pinky berries.....what is it?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...57649073279758

Caveats as already given by other people, but I'd lean towards Sorbus
glabriuscula (Sorbus hupehensis hort.) which can have white or pinkish
berries.

There are lots of different rowans grown, but the 5 that turn up
reasonably commonly are Sorbus aucuparia (both the red-berried wild form
and the orange-berried cultivar), Sorbus cachemiriana (large white
berries), Sorbus glabriuscula (pinkish white berries), Sorbus 'Joseph
Rock' (pale orange berries), and one with large clusters of small red
berries which I haven't put a name to (probably Sorbus commixta or
Sorbus sargentiana).

Can you give a more precise location, so I can pass the details on to
the country recorder?

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley