Old 26-11-2014, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mystery plant on a mountain

This is obviously an escaped garden plant but it's high up just off the
Winlatter Pass in the Lake District and on the banks of a mountain stream.
Those a glossy pinky berries.....what is it?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...57649073279758

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 27-11-2014, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...57649073279758

Spindle?

http://wildflowerfinder.org.uk/Flowe...le/Spindle.htm

Or one of the cultivated rowans.

A closer look at the berries and any fallen leaves would be good
(you'll be back by teatime)..

Janet
Old 27-11-2014, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote ...

says...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...57649073279758

Spindle?

http://wildflowerfinder.org.uk/Flowe...le/Spindle.htm

Or one of the cultivated rowans.

A closer look at the berries and any fallen leaves would be good
(you'll be back by teatime)..

Probably was but a cultivated form perhaps, or one that should be. Almost
fluorescent berries of a pinky mauve colour looked so out of place where it
was against the greens and browns of the pine forest edge. Rather like
suddenly coming across a neon sign. It was also the only one we saw.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-11-2014, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/11/2014 22:50, Bob Hobden wrote:
This is obviously an escaped garden plant but it's high up just off the
Winlatter Pass in the Lake District and on the banks of a mountain stream.
Those a glossy pinky berries.....what is it?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...57649073279758

How big are the berries? Ditto for the tree. Do you have a close-up of
the berries? I would normally copy the image and enlarge it in
IrfanView, but flickr won't allow the image to be copied and I can't
find a way round the protection.

But in the absence of any other info I reckon Janet's suggestion of one
of the rowans is as good as any.

--

Jeff
Old 27-11-2014, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/11/2014 22:50, Bob Hobden wrote:
This is obviously an escaped garden plant but it's high up just off the
Winlatter Pass in the Lake District and on the banks of a mountain
stream. Those a glossy pinky berries.....what is it?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...57649073279758

Caveats as already given by other people, but I'd lean towards Sorbus
glabriuscula (Sorbus hupehensis hort.) which can have white or pinkish
berries.

There are lots of different rowans grown, but the 5 that turn up
reasonably commonly are Sorbus aucuparia (both the red-berried wild form
and the orange-berried cultivar), Sorbus cachemiriana (large white
berries), Sorbus glabriuscula (pinkish white berries), Sorbus 'Joseph
Rock' (pale orange berries), and one with large clusters of small red
berries which I haven't put a name to (probably Sorbus commixta or
Sorbus sargentiana).

Can you give a more precise location, so I can pass the details on to
the country recorder?

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 27-11-2014, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/11/2014 10:52, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
[...]

BTW, the "flowering" fir trees are probably Picea sitchensis (Sitka
spruce) and the ones on the way to Spout Force Picea abies (Norway
spruce) and Larix (larch).

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 27-11-2014, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Larch! Left our car parked under one during a night, don't think I will ever
get all the spines out of the nooks and crannies no matter how often I wash
it.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-11-2014, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
This is obviously an escaped garden plant but it's high up just off the
Winlatter Pass in the Lake District and on the banks of a mountain
stream.
Those a glossy pinky berries.....what is it?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...57649073279758

How big are the berries? Ditto for the tree. Do you have a close-up of the
berries? I would normally copy the image and enlarge it in IrfanView, but
flickr won't allow the image to be copied and I can't find a way round the
protection.

But in the absence of any other info I reckon Janet's suggestion of one of
the rowans is as good as any.

I've enlarged the picture of the berries....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...57649073279758

Tree was small, probably 6ft tall, maybe more, I couldn't get too close due
to the steep sided mountain stream between us. Berries, about mid rowan
sized.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-11-2014, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

I've enlarged the berries and posted it in the reply to Jeff. As you can see
they are a strange eyecatching colour especially in that situation.

The plant is on the Revilin Moss trail on the Winlatter about half way up
from the carpark, keeping the stream on your right.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-11-2014, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/11/2014 17:12, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Jeff Layman" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Well, I still go with a Sorbus.

Mind you, someone in a different NG (I was asking about copying flickr
images) came up with the hilarious comment that as the tree was growing
not that far from Sellafield it could be a mutated potato!

--

Jeff