Old 08-01-2015, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] brunnian@gmail.com is offline

Default Veg for shade

On Wednesday, 7 January 2015 14:44:21 UTC, Broadback wrote:
I have cleared a small area that is mainly in the shade. what veg grows
well with little or no sun?

You need at least 3 hours sun for most "shade tolerant" things like kale or spinach. Anything with big green leaves, even potato, will produce some sort of crop in semi- or dappled- shade, but 'mainly' in the shade might be difficult. Try some open-headed lettuce varieties. I am wondering about celery. I imagine you might get weedy but tasty growth.

Most herbs will grow in shade, but obviously far slower and less vigorously..

There are simple tricks, like making aluminium foil mirrors to stand along walls, that can improve things a bit. If the shade is caused by low walls, then planting beans and peas that can grow up sticks into the light is a possibility.