Old 07-01-2015, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Veg for shade

I have cleared a small area that is mainly in the shade. what veg grows
well with little or no sun?
Old 07-01-2015, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rhubarb

--
David
Old 08-01-2015, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have cleared a small area that is mainly in the shade. what veg grows
well with little or no sun?

Nothing, in my experience. I tried growing veg in my shady garden, and they
didn't do well. so I grew them in my paddock down in the village which has
full sun. They do fine there. Rhubarb soon died in the shade, too,
struggled along for a couple of years and then gave up the ghost.
I don't think you'll be able to grow vegetables in a plot that has little or
no sun. You might try spinach, but don't hold your breath.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadback[_3_] View Post
I have cleared a small area that is mainly in the shade. what veg grows
well with little or no sun?
A lot will depend on why it is the shade. Buildings or trees. If the latter the soil is going to be full of roots and any goodness sucked out.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wednesday, 7 January 2015 14:44:21 UTC, Broadback wrote:
I have cleared a small area that is mainly in the shade. what veg grows
well with little or no sun?

You need at least 3 hours sun for most "shade tolerant" things like kale or spinach. Anything with big green leaves, even potato, will produce some sort of crop in semi- or dappled- shade, but 'mainly' in the shade might be difficult. Try some open-headed lettuce varieties. I am wondering about celery. I imagine you might get weedy but tasty growth.

Most herbs will grow in shade, but obviously far slower and less vigorously..

There are simple tricks, like making aluminium foil mirrors to stand along walls, that can improve things a bit. If the shade is caused by low walls, then planting beans and peas that can grow up sticks into the light is a possibility.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/01/2015 10:35, mike crowe wrote:
'Broadback[_3_ Wrote:
;1010519']I have cleared a small area that is mainly in the shade. what
veg grows
well with little or no sun?

A lot will depend on why it is the shade. Buildings or trees. If the
latter the soil is going to be full of roots and any goodness sucked
out.

A shed shades it to the East and part of the South, a wall shades it to
the West
Old 08-01-2015, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Broadback[_3_ Wrote:
;1010519']I have cleared a small area that is mainly in the shade. what
veg grows
well with little or no sun?

A lot will depend on why it is the shade. Buildings or trees. If the
latter the soil is going to be full of roots and any goodness sucked
out.

A shed shades it to the East and part of the South, a wall shades it to
the West

Do weeds grow in this area? If so, do they flourish or merely get by?
What are they, if you recognise them, as this may be a guide to what
vegetables you can grow. Also look at how much of a rain shadow is cast
by this shed, which may affect your watering regime.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 09-01-2015, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Broadback[_3_ Wrote:
;1010519']I have cleared a small area that is mainly in the shade. what
veg grows
well with little or no sun?

A lot will depend on why it is the shade. Buildings or trees. If the
latter the soil is going to be full of roots and any goodness sucked
out.

A shed shades it to the East and part of the South, a wall shades it to
the West

Do weeds grow in this area? If so, do they flourish or merely get by?
What are they, if you recognise them, as this may be a guide to what
vegetables you can grow. Also look at how much of a rain shadow is cast
by this shed, which may affect your watering regime.

As always, common sense from our Spider

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 09-01-2015, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Broadback[_3_ Wrote:
;1010519']I have cleared a small area that is mainly in the shade.
what
veg grows
well with little or no sun?

A lot will depend on why it is the shade. Buildings or trees. If the
latter the soil is going to be full of roots and any goodness sucked
out.

A shed shades it to the East and part of the South, a wall shades it to
the West

Do weeds grow in this area? If so, do they flourish or merely get by?
What are they, if you recognise them, as this may be a guide to what
vegetables you can grow. Also look at how much of a rain shadow is
cast by this shed, which may affect your watering regime.

As always, common sense from our Spider

What do you call a "small area"?

Old 09-01-2015, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Broadback[_3_ Wrote:
;1010519']I have cleared a small area that is mainly in the shade.
what
veg grows
well with little or no sun?

A lot will depend on why it is the shade. Buildings or trees. If the
latter the soil is going to be full of roots and any goodness sucked
out.

A shed shades it to the East and part of the South, a wall shades it to
the West

Do weeds grow in this area? If so, do they flourish or merely get by?
What are they, if you recognise them, as this may be a guide to what
vegetables you can grow. Also look at how much of a rain shadow is
cast by this shed, which may affect your watering regime.

As always, common sense from our Spider

(Blushes). Aww...shucks. Thanks, Ophelia
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 09-01-2015, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Broadback[_3_ Wrote:
;1010519']I have cleared a small area that is mainly in the shade.
what
veg grows
well with little or no sun?

A lot will depend on why it is the shade. Buildings or trees. If the
latter the soil is going to be full of roots and any goodness sucked
out.

A shed shades it to the East and part of the South, a wall shades it to
the West

Do weeds grow in this area? If so, do they flourish or merely get by?
What are they, if you recognise them, as this may be a guide to what
vegetables you can grow. Also look at how much of a rain shadow is
cast by this shed, which may affect your watering regime.

As always, common sense from our Spider

(Blushes). Aww...shucks. Thanks, Ophelia

Pah you know I am a fan g

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/