Old 19-01-2015, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Britains Best Back Gardens , bamboo care

On 19/01/2015 14:29, Janet wrote:

I've been enjoying this ITV series.

Recently, presenter AT made some throwaway remark about "cleaning
(foliage off) the lower stems of his bamboo".

I've never done that to mine (or heard of it before) but it would
certainly show off the stems and high foliage to advantage.

??? Any experience or tips?

Janet.

I've been enjoying this series, too. There are some lovely gardens. I
also admired the "cleaned culm" bamboo. I have often seen the lower
growth removed to show off the culms, but this was the first time I saw
the middle growth removed to create two leafy tiers. Very attractive.
I don't grow bamboo so have no real experience, but I imagine it's
extremely straight forward. I suggest you wear gloves if you try it, as
some culms can tear the skin. Your biggest decision is whether to clear
the base of your stems, or copy that lovely two-tier version which
remined me very much of cloud pruning.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London