Old 12-02-2015, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Killing Ivy

On 12/02/15 13:58, Judith in England wrote:

I have a panel fence between me and my neighbour.
We had ivy on both sides of the fence before we replaced it with new panels. I
appear to have successfully killed the ivy on my side (thanks to suggestions in
this group).

However, my neighbour's has not all been killed off - and new shoots with
leaves are appearing through the fencing on my side.

I have successfully killed all the shoots which come through (Roundup) - but I
wondered if my continued application to new shoots will eventually kill off the
ivy totally?

Probably, but it will take time. I sprayed about 20 metres of fence
covered with ivy. with glyphosate That was repeated twice at fortnightly
intervals. It seemed to kill off the ivy after a few months, but I've
just noticed some coming through again. I'll repeat the triple-spaying
when the weather is a lot warmer - probably mid to late May. If
necessary, I'll repeat it again next year. Make sure that the new leaves
really are thoroughly wetted on both sides, as it is likely that the
glyphosate will be absorbed better though those than older leaves.

Out of interest, I tried using a glyphosate spray made with an emulsion
of white spirit in water, and one using isopropanol in water on a couple
of fence panels to see if that helped get through the tough (waxy?)
leaves of the ivy. It didn't, appear to but it didn't inhibit the
efficacy either.

--

Jeff