Old 06-03-2015, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] is offline

Default Which snowdrop?

On 23/02/2015 19:01, Spider wrote:
On 18/02/2015 22:12, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
Possibly the biggest snowdrop that I've ever seen, though there are some
vigorous G. woronowii in a nearby wood. Leaves 25mm wide with glacous
stripes, a distinct midrib beneath, and plicate margins. Petalmarks
occupying most of the lower half on the inner tepals.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG

Sorry I can't help, except to suggest that you send your pics to the RHS
which has a fairly big collection, plus galanthophiles oozing out of
every orrifice. Sure one of them could help.

You reminded me that I have access to the RHS identification service.
Their identification is Galanthus plicatus.

It does bear some resemblance to the cultivar Galanthus plicatus
'Colossus', but I think that it has larger petalmarks than that.

I did have a look on line on your behalf and there are some good sites
belonging to collectors, but remarkably few show leaves, just the
differences in individual flowers. Not always enough diagnostic
information.

--
SRH