Old 11-03-2015, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Gardening and climate change

Fran Farmer wrote:
:-)) And less snow for water for the populace is only one of the signs
you've written about......

I keep wondering if it will take famine
conditions in the first world before some people finally manage to join
the dots.

i suspect there will be food riots and troubles in
poorer countries again long before you see problems
in the first world countries. the first world has
the resources to ship foods around. only when we
get some rather unlikely multiple year droughts in
several of the large grain growing regions in
combination with wars which disrupt shipping would
you see a large famine in the first world.

at the moment i think we're on the edge and could
be mostly ok, but it means making some changes.
improving ground and surface water regulations,
putting the land back into the hands of people
instead of corporations, having more diversity and
protection for wild spaces, funding restoration
and replanting projects, increasing wetlands to
help with flooding and droughts, improving irrigation
and monitoring of ground water pumping.

boycotting products from companies or people
who poison is one immediate thing that i can do
and that shifts at least some production towards
more sustainable methods. growing my own food
using sustainable methods is another. at least
then i know some wild creatures have a home that
isn't being poisoned.

songbird