Old 12-03-2015, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Rose food - 6" from trunk?

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 13:16:46 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

Hypatia Nachshon writes:

On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 9:33:56 AM UTC-7, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Bought organic rose food "Espoma Citrus-Tone".

Directions say not to apply within 6" from trunk.

We all know that feeder roots are where food enters tree, but curious why this
positive instruction to stay 6" from trunk.

This is an ADORAbleshingto Drwae

Sorry, this keyboard is driving me nuts.

Where were we? Oh, yes -- adorable Washington dwarf barely 3' high,
just COVERED with buds!

So, -6" proximity to trunk..???

So, what's wrong with 6 inches.
I'd expect anything put in the ground and watered to spread at least 6
inches. So you have the 12 inches around the plant well fed.
For a rose, I suspect that's the limit of the root length.
There should be feeder roots even near the trunk.

Plants are typically fertilzed just inside their drip line... too
close to the trunk can cause roots to grow inward and girdle the
plant.