Old 12-03-2015, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Rose food - 6" from trunk?

Hypatia Nachshon writes:

On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 9:37:15 AM UTC-7, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 9:33:56 AM UTC-7, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Bought organic rose food "Espoma Citrus-Tone".

Directions say not to apply within 6" from trunk.

We all know that feeder roots are where food enters tree, but curious why this
positive instruction to stay 6" from trunk.

This is an ADORAbleshingto Drwae

Sorry, this keyboard is driving me nuts.

Where were we? Oh, yes -- adorable Washington dwarf barely 3' high,
just COVERED with buds!

So, -6" proximity to trunk..???

IA

HB

OMG, Pls don't send the butterfly net after me!

This was NOT about a ROSE, it was supposed to be about a Dwarf
Washington ORANGE tree! (I had fertilizing roses in another part of
my so-called mind!)

Brooklyn's reply about not encouraging [feeder] roots to grow too close to the trunk may be the answer. Didn't occur to me.

If any further comment, now that we know it's a DWARF ORANGE TREE, TIA

Any tree, even a dwarf orange, 6 inches doesn't sound right to me.
Unless that's where the leaves reach out to.

So, why are you putting rose food on a citrus?
(I don't think it can hurt, but seems a bit odd.)

--
Dan Espen